Thursday, March 29, 2018

Walking A New Path


A New Path

Today our family begins a new chapter in our story. It's an unexpected chapter, one we never saw in the Table of Contents, one we didn't choose or wish for.

Today, Sophia, our middle child, was diagnosed with epilepsy. She had a seizure on Monday morning, three months to the day since her first and up to now only episode. It has been a long week, but now we have some answers. And yet, at the same time we have even more questions. I'd like to say that this post has some great point, but frankly at this point I am just processing.

Epilepsy? Really? Isn't that when you have convulsions frequently? My mind is running with stories of people I know with epilepsy. Interestingly, Christina told me that she learned from the doctor that Epilepsy is kind of an automatic diagnosis when there is no other known cause of seizures. Epilepsy is not a one-faceted disease. It is varied and encompasses numerous and diverse symptoms and reactions.

So, we've begun a medical regimen that will last at least two years. Two years! That's half of the life she has lived so far! Hard to fathom.

But I'm glad we have an idea of what's going on. I'm thankful for all the love and support our family has received just the past few days. The texts, the calls, the visits, the offers of help. They mean a lot. Frankly, we're tired. Christina and I are at just drained. Trying to understand this as best we can, while raising three kids and all while in the midst of the busiest week of the year for me (Holy Week). It's an adventure that I don't recall having signed up for.

But that's the way it goes. Life is a continual unfolding of God's story for us. He's not freaked out by this. He knew what He was doing when He formed Sophia. He knew this would happen before time began, and somehow He will be glorified in all of this.

Sophia obviously doesn't have a grasp of what is going on. But she's brave. So many kids her age are scared of doctors and hospitals. But not Sophie. Oh, she's not the biggest fan of them, but she has been a real trooper this week. 

By the way, I'm not going to call Sophia an epileptic. She will not be defined by this. This doesn't change who she is, it just affects her. She is defined by God's love for her. She's defined by her piercing blue eyes, her love of animals, her love of families, and her love of all things purple.

It's only fitting that the color of Epilepsy Awareness is Purple... It's her favorite.

Each of my kids have taught me so much. May Sophia teach me to be brave. And to trust God more each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment